Last weekend was busy with our son’s birthday. We managed to spend a little time drilling the final holes to secure┬áthe joists to our trailer. The weather didn’t look like it was going to cooperate this weekend, but when we got a break between showers I made a Lowes run, to pick up sheathing for the subfloor.

For a long time I debated on whether I should go with OSB or plywood. I did a fair amount of research and came to the conclusion that the added expense just didn’t make sense for plywood. Based on my research I’m of the opinion that if plywood is better it’s only nominally so. I think there was a time where plywood was the superior product, but today I believe the products to both be sufficient for the job.

The next decision was whether to go with 5/8″ or 3/4″ sheathing. 3/4″ is the route that most people go, based on modern building practices, but it’s also heavier. I was really on the fence between the two, because of the way I approached our floor joists, we actually have less than 16″ centers. At Lowes all of the 3/4″ sheathing was damaged. I took this as the universe intervening and ultimately ended up with the 5/8″ panels.

By the time I got home, and got all of my tools out, it was nearly 8:00PM. Most people don’t start projects at 8:00PM… but then again I’m not most people. Just ask my wife. As the night got later I had to resort to wearing a headlamp as I installed the sheathing. I looked like a dork, but it got the job done.

Rocking my headlamp in the dark!

Rocking my headlamp in the dark!

I installed the panels with 2 1/2″ exterior deck screws and subfloor adhesive. I then staggered 1 5/8″ deck screws about every 6-8″ on the joists. I don’t think our floor is going anywhere and hopefully we won’t have to deal with any squeaks!

Here’s a shot of the finished product.

The finished product. Gibson is already running in the house.

The finished product. Gibson is already running in the house.

After I finished I used some of my scrap lumber to rig up a makeshift ridge to string the tarp over. It should help keep things nice and dry until we get back around to working on the walls.

I made a makeshift ridge to help the water run off the tarp.

I made a makeshift ridge to help the water run off the tarp.